I've been dreading something like this since November.
But this isn't the time to try to organize my thoughts about what's happened to my country. I just wanted to get this out, because I suspect I'm not alone in cutting down on my news intake so much that I might miss such a story. And it's important that we know.
- Indian engineer killed, another injured in U.S. hate crime
- The Hindu, for those not familiar with it, is one of India's foremost national newspapers. I mention this because when I first heard of it, my immediate assumption, based solely on the name, was that it was a Hindu Nationalist mouth organ. Not at all.
- Kansas shooting: Widow of Indian man calls for action on hate crimes
- As I write this, the top stories on CNN.com are about
- the White House barring CNN, the New York Times, and the L.A. Times from a press briefing
- the White House asking the FBI to "knock down recent Trump-Russia stories"
- "States' rights for bathrooms but not for marijuana"
- "Pew Poll: Support for Obamacare at all-time high"
I mourn for Srinivas Kuchibhotla. I mourn for the America I still, somehow, love. And I am so ashamed.