The SPD shoes I got at the time kill me to walk in — to the point where I always bring another pair of shoes with me when I ride. I recently decided to try solving this by way of Zappos* and now I have a pair of SPD shoes that I can walk comfortably in.
Now I need to install cleats and set them up. Last time, the bike shop charged me like $40 for this. Is it really that hard? Have any of you done it? And would you be willing to help me do it for myself?
Thanks in advance!
* I'm a big fan of Zappos. My experience of shoe shopping has way too often been:
- Go into the store.
- FInd something I like
- Be told by the salesman they don't have it in my size, but
- They have this other "similar" shoe I don't like as well
- they have it in a different size that's close enough
- I try on the shoes
- lather, rinse, repeat
- I eventually leave the store with a pair of shoes
- which when I try actually wearing them in the real world turn out to
- hurt like hell
- provide no support
- be hideous
- the shoes gather dust in the back of my closet
- until I give them to Goodwill.